A Word from Our Executive Director
Happy birthday to all of the July birthdays. Enjoy your day!
As some of you may know, July 28th marks the completion date for Mrs. Tracy's AmeriCorps contract. As we understand that resident services is an essential program, please be prepared for a small break in these services as we successfully re-fill this position. When the position is filled, we will let everyone know.
Also, beginning July 31st, all rentals and reservations for the Community Center will be handled through the City of Dickson Parks and Recreation. This includes the meeting room. Any questions should be directed to them at 615.446.1721.
As always... Let's get involved!!
Sherry Lynch, Executive Director
Special Points of Interest:
- DHA Calendar of Events
- Maintenance and Resident Service
- Did You Know…
If you have an emergency and it's during office hours, please call the office before calling maintenance.
It is getting warmer outside, and the kids will be outside enjoying the sun. Please slow down and look out for the children.
Parents: watch your children! Do not allow them to play in the street/parking lots. Encourage them to play smart and not take dangerous risks.
- Rent!! - We encourage all residents to use the online rent portal for rent payments. To access the portal, click here to visit the main page of our website and click on "pay online" you will have to create an account, if you haven't already. Got questions or need help, please contact our office.
- No Smoking!! - There should be absolutely no smoking inside your unit.
- Roaches and Bed Bugs!! - If you suspect that you have roaches and/or bedbugs it is extremely important that you let us know immediately. The longer this goes untreated, the harder it will be to get under control. Get in the habit of inspecting your beds, furniture, and curtains frequently. Do not bring used furniture, clothing, and other items into your unit.
- Pets!! - We are having a major issue with pet waste in the yards. If you have a pet, you signed a pet agreement that states that you are responsible for cleaning this up. If this continues to be a problem, pet fees will increase.
- Leashes!! - When your pet is outside, they are to be on a leash at all times. They are not to be tethered and left outside. You must stay with them. When tethered, make sure that neither the leash, nor your pet, will be able to cross over walkways, stairs, sidewalks, etc. when finished with the leash/chain, do not leave it on the ground. These can cause serious damage to mowers/weed eaters. If we pick it up, it will be discarded.
- Changes to your Unit!! - Do not make any cosmetic changes to your unit. This includes painting, building shelfs in the closets, pantry or storage unit, carpeting, etc.
- Pools!! - As the weather gets warmer, remember pools are not to be left outside unattended. Pools must be emptied every day. If left out overnight or unattended, maintenance will remove them from the property. No pools larger than 5 ft. in diameter.
- Trash!! - If your trash does not fit in your trash can, do not set it on the ground. Cumberland disposal will not pick it up. Do not store trash on your porches. If it doesn't fit, take it to one of the city trash receptacles.
- Outside of Units!! - There should be nothing stored outside of your unit other than lawn furniture and grills. Mattresses, old tires, bikes, toys, tarps, wagons, trash, etc. should not be stored on the porch or in the yard. Use your storage rooms or get rid of these items. Any trash on the ground around your unit is your trash-please pick it up.
- Plants!! - If you have planted any garden plants, shrubs, flowers, etc. that are annuals, remove them once they have died out. If you have perennials, keep them weeded and cleared up or they will be removed. All trees, shrubs, and bushes must be planted more than two (2) feet from any unit, or they will be removed due to potential damages done by root infiltration.
- Yard Decorations!! - Yard decorations - solar lights, statues, large stones, etc. - are no longer allowed in the yard.
- Grease and Scraps!! - Do not throw food scraps and/or grease outside your unit, over the fence or out of the back door!! Dispose of old grease in a resealable container (an old grease can or jug, an empty laundry or coke bottle). When it is full make sure the top is tight and place it in your trash. As for food scraps or bones, double up grocery bags, garbage bags, (any plastic bag), secure the bag and place it in your trash. You could also store the bag in the refrigerator until trash day. This will help deter gnats, roaches, dogs, cats, and other animals around your unit.
- July 13
- Adult Bingo 1 PM
- July 20
- Youth Bingo 1 PM
- July 22
- Soup for Souls 11:30 AM to 12:30 PM
- July 25
- Resident Association Meeting 1 PM
Store Days are every Thursday for the month of July.
Adult Bingo will be Thursday, July 13th at 1 PM. Prizes will be given.
Youth Bingo will be Thursday, July 20th at 1 PM. Prizes will be given.
Soup for Souls!!
Free lunch for July will be on the 22nd at 11:30 AM until 12:30 PM or as food lasts. Everyone is invited, this is not just for public housing residents.
Resident Association Meeting:
Our Resident Association Meeting will begin at 1 PM on July 25th.
I would first like to thank everyone for their kind words, visits, phone calls, cards, gifts, and prayers during the loss of my mom. You all have been amazing and i appreciate you all.
As my contract with AmeriCorps is ending, I would like to let everyone know that it has been an honor serving you. This experience has changed my life in many ways. I have met and served some wonderful residents and made some lifelong friends. I'm not sure where life will take me, but I'm always a phone call away.
Throughout the month of July, Store Days will continue to be every Thursday 8 AM - 11 AM unless announced otherwise. Rides must be requested no later than 24 hours in advance. Any doctor's appointments must be made before 11 AM and must be in Dickson.
It is getting "Post Survey Time" for the residents whom I serve on a regular basis; which means I will be contacting you all soon to complete the end of term/post surveys for AmeriCorps if I haven't done so yet. If I have not reached you by the end of June, please contact me. As of July 28th, DHA resident services Facebook page will no longer be active.
Tracy Grigsby, AmeriCorps Member - Resident Services Coordinator
We must have a current registration for each vehicle parked on the premises. If you get a new car or have not registered your vehicle, please file your registration with the office immediately. When you bring in your registration, you will get a parking permit. All parking passes must be clearly visible in your vehicle while on the property or risk the possibility of your vehicle towed at your expense. Also remember, if you no longer have a vehicle that has been registered with us, let us know so that we can remove it from our records.
Reminder - Lease Violations
- Pet Policy: Residents are reminded that there are pet policies and procedures that must be completed before you can have an animal at your apartment - whether they are a pet, or you are requesting a support animal. All animals must be approved by the housing authority before they can be at your apartment. Visiting pets are not allowed on property.
- Unauthorized Guests: We continue to find some residents allowing unauthorized guests to live with them. Residents are allowed guests three (3) nights per year and upon approval you may request up to a maximum of 14 days per year. If they are not on your lease, then they are unauthorized to live here. If you want someone to live with you, you must add them to your lease.
- Income Changes: It is very important to report all changes in family composition and income, in writing, to the office within 10 days of the change. For example, report a job as soon as you obtain it - do not wait until you receive your first check. Waiting will result in less than a 30-day notice of any increases and may result in owing back rent in addition to your regular rental payment.
Pictures for Summer Camp 2023
Dickson County Community Baby Shower
Free to all expecting Moms, Dads, and "New" Parents (of babies up to one (1) year of age)!
Grandparents are also welcome!
Saturday, August 12, 2023 - 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Dickson County Government Building
303 Henslee Drive
Dickson, TN 37055
- Door prizes
- Vendor booths
- Community services
- WIC representatives
- A free gift
- Grand prize giveaway!
- And more!!
Back to School Bash
July 22, 2023
9:00 AM to 1:00 PM
Dickson County Fairgrounds
1053 Highway 47 E
Free school supplies
Cleaning the oven?
Need a helper? Boil some water in a pot. Turn off the stove and drop in a dishwasher tablet. Set the pot in the over so that the steam will loosen grease and stuck-on food. Wait about 5-10 minutes and use the water to scrub and clean the oven. Rinse thoroughly!
If your grout is super dirty and you do not think general mopping is going to get it clean, try some toilet bowl cleaner. I recommend using the works toilet bowl cleaner for super dirty grout. The works is runny, so you'll have the most control if you use a fine tip squeeze bottle to apply it directly to the grout line. Apply toilet cleaner to cover the grout line. Let it sit for 15-30 minutes, then scrub with a stiff grout brush. Wipe the grout with a wet sponge to clean off the dirty toilet cleaner and let dry. Once your grout is completely dry and back to its original color, apply a good sealer to protect the grout, and make future cleaning easier.
DHA Community Center Gym
8 AM - 11 AM walking
1 PM - 3 PM adult free play
3 PM - 4 PM youth free play
If school is on a scheduled break, the free play time is reversed for adults and youth.
Masks are recommended!!! (Be aware that changes may occur at any time)
The Dickson Housing Authority's mission is to provide safe, decent and sanitary housing conditions for low-income families and to manage resources efficiently. The Dickson Housing Authority is to promote personal, economic, and social upward mobility to provide families the opportunity to make the transition from subsidized to non-subsidized housing.
FYI.... some things never change!!
Non-emergency maintenance issues should be reported to our office during business Hours - 7:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Maintenance emergencies before/after business hours should be directed to maintenance directly. (See phone numbers listed on the front of each newsletter.)
- Suspecting gas leaks
- Water leaks that may create safety hazard or property damage
- No heat/air conditioning in concerning weather conditions
- Any situation that may pose danger or property damage.
You will be charged a minimum of $40 for non-emergency, after-hour calls.
- Rent is due on the 1st of each month.
- A $25 late fee will be applied if rent is not paid by 4:30 pm on the 10th.
- If rent is not paid by the 15th, an eviction is issued.
- Residents are required to report all income changes within 10 days of the change.
- Please discuss all income adjustments, changes in the household, employment changes, etc. with Tosha Curtis, Public Housing Manager.
- Trash Collection $10
- Key Replacement $10
- Locks Changed $25.
- Lock Out Charge $40 After Hours.
- Disabling Smoke Detectors $50 Each
- Monthly Pet Fee $10
- Pet Deposit $300
- Maintenance Labor Rate During Hours - $23.84 Hr.
- Rate After Hours - $40.00 Hr.