Skip to Main Content

Highland Rim Economic Corporation

Your Community Action Agency
Helping People Changing Lives

Highland Rim Economic Corporation logo.

David Brown, Executive Director

The Mission Statement for Highland Rim Economic Corporation is to coordinate resources to empower and inspire people to reach their full potential.

Sara Gerbis, Dickson County Neighborhood Service Center Supervisor

Please contact Sara for more information about any of the varied services noted below.

Sara will be able to share how you may qualify for participation.

Community Action Partnership. Helping People, Changing Lives.

Neighborhood Service Centers

  • Dickson County Neighborhood Service Center
    • 707 Colonial Village, Hwy 70 E.
      Dickson, Tennessee 37055
    • Telephone: 615.441.1153

  • Houston County Neighborhood Service Center
    • 213 College Street
      Erin, Tennessee 37061
    • Telephone: 931.289.4101

  • Humphreys County Neighborhood Service Center
    • 3343 Hwy 70 E.
      Waverly, Tennessee 37185
    • Telephone: 931.296.4098

  • Stewart County Neighborhood Service Center
    • Stewart County Courthouse
      P.O. Box 704
      Dover, Tennessee 37058
    • Telephone: 931.232.5184

Funding sources for Highland Rim Economic Corporation include the Tennessee Department of Human Services, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services/Administration for Children and Families, Tennessee Department of Agriculture, U.S. Department of Energy, Tennessee Housing Development Agency, U.S. Department of Agriculture, and other state, federal, and local sources.

Who Can Apply for Assistance

Low-income individuals and families, unemployed persons, elderly persons, persons with disabilities, high school dropouts, the homeless, children of low-income families, abandoned, widowed or divorced women and men, and others in need.

Eligibility Requirements

Eligibility requirements are set by the State, Federal, and local funding guidelines and may include income, age, disability, or demonstrate the need of a service. Eligibility services will be determined when an application is made.

HREC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origins, age, sex, disability, or religion.

Community Services Block Grant (CSBG)

CSBG offers a variety of programs to low-income families throughout Neighborhood Service Centers. These centers are located in each of the four counties of Dickson, Houston, Humphreys, and Stewart Counties. Some of the specific programs offered at these centers are:

  • Emergency Assistance
  • Linkages for the Elderly, Disabled, and Community Outreach
  • Nutrition

Emergency Food and Shelter Program

The Emergency Food and Shelter Program is administered in Dickson, Houston, Humphreys, and Stewart Counties when funding is available. This program assists families or individuals with special emergency needs for rent, mortgage, food, or utility assistance.

Project Help

Helps individuals pay a portion of their electric bill.

Head Start

Head Start is a program for preschool children from low-income families. Head Start children and families are provided the following:

  • Education and Early Childhood Development Services
  • Child Health Services Dental and Medical
  • Children with Disabilities Developmental Services
  • Child Nutritional Services of healthy meals and snacks
  • Parent Involvement Opportunities
  • Social Services and Community Partnership Opportunities

USDA Commodity Program

The USDA Commodity Program provides a variety of nutritious free foods which enable low-income families to stretch their grocery dollars. Food is distributed in four different locations throughout the service area. Volunteers and local agencies donate their time and effort in helping to make USDA food available. The University of Tennessee Agricultural Extension agents often provides important information on how to use the foods in recipes.

Low Home Energy Assistance Program

This program offers low-income people in need of energy assistance. This program operates year-round to help with electric, natural gas, or fuel bills. Applications are taken year-round or until funds are exhausted. We also have a Crisis Program when funds are available.